There are certainly many more charges to come, but we are upgrading the initial charges of assault to murder in the first degree. And we are hoping that the more information we can get and the more investigation that is going on 24/7 now, around the clock in Washington, the more we will find out about what actually happened in terms of this individual even being in this country and being in a position to ambush and shoot down an innocent young woman who was doing her duty to the people of this country.
The 33-year-old man, who had been in custody since Feb. 14 after an arrest by the San Jose Police Department, was found unresponsive in his housing unit at 2:56 p.m., according to a press release from the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office. Medical personnel and jail staff performed CPR on the man until the arrival of emergency personnel from the Milpitas Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services at 3:09 p.m., authorities said.
A University of Alabama at Birmingham football player allegedly stabbed two teammates on Saturday morning, hours before the team's game against the University of South Florida, the university said in a statement. UAB's top priority remains the safety and well-being of all of our students, the statement said. Given patient privacy and the ongoing investigation, we have no further comment at this time.
Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen said he may look into allegations that backers of Measure A, the sales tax increase for county-run hospitals, made a deal to share the tax proceeds with law enforcement unions, but now have reneged on that promise. County leaders characterized the 5/8ths-of-a-cent sales tax increase approved Nov. 4 as a lifeline for their massive public hospital system. They warned the hospital system was in jeopardy amid federal spending cuts under President Trump.
A teenager has been charged with murder after a 17-year-old girl was killed in South Wales. The girl, named as Lainie Williams, was pronounced dead at the scene, Gwent police said. Cameron Cheng, 18, has been charged with murder and attempted murder, as well as possession of a bladed article. Cheng, who the force said is a British national from Newbridge, Caerphilly, will appear at Newport magistrates court on Monday.
The shooting was reported around 11:05 p.m. on Aug. 4 in the area of Dry Creek Road and Marques Avenue, San Jose police Officer Tanya Hernandez said in a news release Friday. Officers learned a group of five teenagers got into a verbal altercation and fired a gun multiple times, Hernandez said. The suspects were gone by the time officers arrived at the scene. No one was injured, but an unoccupied vehicle parked in the area was struck by a bullet.
Firefighters tackled the blaze at St James Park after smoke was seen billowing from a portacabin near the Well Street end of the ground at about 22:00 GMT on Wednesday. Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue said the fire started in an electrical unit, before spreading to a temporary building - the football club a small area of the stadium had been damaged. By midnight, the fire had been extinguished, with ventilation fans used to clear smoke.
The DLR's new trains have been taken out of service just weeks after the first one started carrying passengers, following reports of problems with one of the trains breaking in wet weather. Transport for London ( TfL) says that although there has been only one isolated incident involving a single train, all three new trains that were in service have been temporarily withdrawn from service.
Police were investigating the explosion outside Delhi's historic Red Fort that killedeight people, with authorities focusing on the final movements of the vehicle allegedly involved. Police said the explosion occurred around 7pm on Monday evening outside the Red Fort metro station, a peak time when Delhi's old city is usually packed with people, bustling markets and heavy traffic. Delhi police commissioner Satish Golcha said the explosion took place after a slow moving vehicle stopped at a red light outside the metro station.
A 22-year-old man has died after a crash early Saturday morning in Bracebridge, about 80 kilometers northeast from Barrie, Ont., said Ontario Provincial Police (OPP). Officers responded to reports of a two-vehicle crash around 1:30 a.m. on Fraserburg Road between McKay Trail and Old Cottage Road, said a news release by OPP. The 22-year-old passenger from Brantford, Ont., was pronounced dead after the head-on collission, said police. The two drivers and another passenger were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Police in England on Sunday ruled out speculation that a mass stabbing on a passenger train that injured 11 people was a terrorist attack. "At this stage, there is nothing to suggest that this is a terrorist incident," British Transport Police Superintendent John Loveless told UK media. He continued: "At this early stage, it would not be appropriate to speculate on the causes of the incident."
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story. The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.