The VTA is attempting to seize properties it says are needed to construct the 28th Street/Little Portugal BART Station near the interchange of U.S. Highway 101 and East Santa Clara Street. In 2021, the VTA filed a lawsuit against the owner of the site as well as Monarch and other businesses at the location as part of an eminent domain proceeding to seize control of the property so the BART station could be constructed.
Downtown San Jose secured a new musical highlight for late March. Music Mania steps in as the city's first multi-genre music festival, setting up shop at the SoFA Lot from March 27 to 29. The outdoor space at 350 South First Street lines up directly with the NCAA Sweet 16 basketball action unfolding nearby at SAP Center. Friday opens with heavy electronic sets led by DJ Diesel, the alter ego of Shaquille O'Neal, supported by Whethan, Eptic, Zen Selekta, and Maneki.
PG&E scaling up to provide power to new data centers is beyond comical. They can't even deliver reliable power to residential customers. My area of San Jose, including my own home, has experienced over a dozen power outages since 2022, the longest lasting eight and nine hours back-to-back during the 2022 heatwave. Before we rely on PG&E to supply power to these new data centers, city leaders should be asking the utility how committed they are to serving their residential customers.
City leaders have adjusted the Inclusionary Housing Ordinance to breathe life into dormant projects. The update shifts affordability tiers for rental units from 50, 60, and 100 percent of area median income to 60, 80, and 110 percent, easing the path for developers to move forward. This pivot aims at households caught between subsidized options and soaring market rates, fostering a broader mix of homes that reflect the city's diverse rhythms and needs.
San Jose city leaders are moving ahead with a June ballot measure to raise hotel taxes, seeking to generate millions of dollars for critical services amid budgetary woes. With the city already forced to cut previously approved services and institute a hiring freeze to rebalance this year's budget, next year promises to be even more challenging, as San Jose faces an estimated potential shortfall of $55 million to $65 million, due in part to the sluggish economy and stagnating revenue.
San Jose is home to one of three surviving Japantowns in the country. The other remaining Japanese communities are also in California cities: San Francisco and Los Angeles. Japanese immigrants came to San Jose in the late 1890s in search of farm work, originally settling in Chinatown before establishing their own cultural community in the region.
A new chapter unfolds for the arts in San Jose as Starting Arts prepares to relocate to two vacant buildings in the North San Pedro District this May. The nonprofit, dedicated to student arts programs, will transform a former courthouse and MMA gym into a vibrant hub called The Shared Arts Center of San Jose. Spanning 25,000 square feet at 99 Notre Dame Avenue and 92 Sharks Way, this space addresses the long-standing need for affordable venues where creative groups can thrive together.
Jeff Garcia, former 49ers quarterback and local fan favorite from his San Jose State, Gavilan and Gilroy years, will join other members of the NFL's NorCal alumni on Thursday, Feb. 5, for a pre-Super Bowl fundraising bash and sushi feast. Tonight's event is being hosted by Sushi Confidential, whose owner, Randy Musterer, says only a limited number of spots are available for the fundraiser that will benefit nonprofits including Santa Clara Valley's Hunger at Home, The City Eats and Beyond the Game Health.
The building where the retail-rental costume store in San Jose is located has been sold, and owner Kathy Bell has until the end of February to liquidate everything. While the eviction came as a shock, Bell said she's been dealing with personal health issues, making it nearly impossible to relocate the business again. The closure will force her into retirement. "I knew the building was up for sale and we were preparing for it, but we thought it would take a long time," the business' 71-year-old owner told San José Spotlight. "I can't do another move."
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose crews are responding to a three-alarm fire at a vacant two-story building. The fire broke out Friday evening around 5 p.m. on Saratoga Avenue near Quito Road. Drivers are being advised to avoid the area as crews work to contain the fire. Stay with ABC7 News for the latest details on this developing story. Copyright © 2026 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.
The city passed legislation nearly 18 months ago requiring property owners to retrofit their multi-story, wooden-frame buildings with at least three units constructed before 1990. It delayed implementation, however, when the federal government rolled back significant funding to facilitate the repairs. But after a court-granted injunction required the release of some of those federal funds, the city approved a $1.6 million pilot financing program in hopes of rolling out a larger critical life-safety initiative in the future.
(The U.S. Department of Homeland Security) is committed to working with our local and federal partners to ensure the Super Bowl is safe for everyone involved, as we do with every major sporting event, including the World Cup," Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Tricia McLaughlin told San José Spotlight in a statement. "We will not disclose future operations or discuss personnel. Those who are here legally and are not breaking other laws have nothing to fear.
The original policy tied private development to the public good. When developers built new market‑rate housing, they had to include affordable homes, some as low as 30% or 50% of the area median income (AMI) or pay fees that helped finance deeply affordable homes elsewhere. It wasn't perfect, but it at least tried to ensure that new development included racial diversity and people at the bottom of the income ladder.
This week, the city unveiled Hometown Heroes, a three-piece exhibition that showcases San Jose sports figures from NFL stars to roller derby players and synchronized swimmers while also putting a spotlight on the artists and photographers who bring their images to us. It'll be on display through July 31, as the region hosts Super Bowl LX, NCAA men's basketball games and FIFA World Cup soccer matches.
SAN JOSE Authorities are searching for a missing 80-year-old man who was last seen Saturday morning, authorities said. Rojiro Sanchez was last seen on Peterson Avenue near Mayme Avenue around 11 a.m., according to a Silver Alert issued by the California Highway Patrol on behalf of the San Jose Police Department. Authorities believe that he is traveling on foot.