These new restrictions-which can be found throughout the appropriations bill for the Department of Education and other sections of the 11-part funding package that was signed into law last week-are part of what policy experts describe as a bipartisan attempt to rebuke the Trump administration's budget proposal and restore Congress's power of the purse. Historically, the language of these budget bills has largely stayed the same, serving as little more than a template into which lawmakers plug that year's dollar amounts and policy riders.
There are vital questions that the American public needs transparency, needs substantive answers on. Instead, what do we get? Accusations of Trump Derangement Syndrome, name calling, you're a loser lawyer, this and that. I mean, coming from the AG of the United States in the U.S. Senatedid we get any meaningful clarity on the Epstein investigations on Epstein files? To your point, do the victims feel, to what you were saying earlier, like they've been given any transparency, any clarity on any of this?
Well, I saw that Lutnick shared his phone number with Epstein, and that their assistants were setting up phone calls between them. So, there is at least that other connection. I didn't find any new names today. I didn't have a lot of time to spend there. But the main by the way, it's a room with four computers, and it's busy all the time. There's always at least four congressmen in there. And the main complaint that I hear,
Williams went on CNN a few hours later and said the whole thing was rotten. It's kind of a reminder of how awful the pardon power is in our world right now. Because the framers drafted it, did not put any guardrails on it, and for the last 240 years or however long nothing has been done to restrain it, Williams lamented.
I'm among those who believes Hillary Clinton's use of a privately run email server is an abuse of power. Doing so appears to have skirted laws ensuring good governance and it may well have exposed her communications to adversaries (including some who would have reason to use the contents of her email to help Republicans win the White House), even if her email would have been just as targeted at State, per reports about persistent hacking of it.
The killing of a second U.S. citizen by federal agents in Minneapolis is sharply complicating efforts to avert another government shutdown in Washington as Democrats - and some Republicans - view the episode as a tipping point in the debate over the Trump administration's immigration enforcement policies. Senate Democrats have pledged to block funding for the Department of Homeland Security unless changes are made to rein in the federal agency's operations following the killing of Alex Pretti, a 37-year-old intensive care unit nurse.
Congressional leaders are pushing back against the Trump administration's account of the killing of Alex Pretti, the 37-year-old U.S. citizen shot dead by federal officers during an immigration enforcement protest in Minneapolis Saturday. Sen. Tina Smith, D-Minn., accused the administration of a "cover up" Sunday and said the federal government is ignoring a court order that allows state investigators to access evidence in Pretti's killing.
Twelve House Democrats who last year sued the Trump administration over a policy limiting congressional oversight of immigrant detention facilities returned to federal court Monday to challenge a second, new policy imposing further limits on such unannounced visits. In December, those members of Congress won their lawsuit challenging a Department of Homeland Security policy from June that required a week's notice from lawmakers before an oversight visit.
The Trump administration secretly reimposed a policy limiting Congress members' access to immigration detention facilities a day after a federal immigration officer fatally shot a woman in Minneapolis, attorneys for several congressional Democrats said Monday in asking a federal judge to intervene. Three Democratic members of Congress from Minnesota were blocked from visiting an Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility near Minneapolis on Saturday, three days after an ICE officer shot and killed U.S. citizen Renee Good in the city.
Rep. Robin Kelly of Illinois said on Wednesday that she is planning to introduce articles of impeachment against Noem, who she calls "a disgrace to our democracy." "Secretary Noem wreaked havoc in the Chicagoland area, and now, her rogue ICE agents have unleashed that same destruction in Minneapolis, fatally shooting Renee Nicole Good," Kelly said in a statement, referring to the woman shot and killed in her car by an ICE agent.
"This is an attack on another country. And that's an act of war," said John Garamendi, a senior member of the House Armed Services Committee. Garamendi said the administration did not seek congressional authorization before moving forward, with his committee receiving "zero" indication of what was being planned. "Congress is rolling over," he said. "Congress has to, must assert its authority and put a stop to this."
Hours later, during a congratulatory press conference, Trump said that during a period of transition in Venezuela, "we're going to run the country right." But he gave only limited details of how the process would proceed, aside from saying, "We're not afraid of boots on the ground." Trump dwelt more on talk of prosecuting Maduro and his wife in a New York City courtroom.
Democratic lawmakers have largely condemned US President Donald Trump's actions on Saturday against the South American country and its leader, saying they violate international law and lack necessary Congressional approval. list of 3 itemsend of list Members of Trump's Republican Party, meanwhile, have defended the attacks as part of the administration's push to stem drug trafficking into the US. Here's a look at some of the reactions from US lawmakers.
It's not quite a new year resolution, and it's certainly not a prediction. Think of it instead as a hope or even a plea for the next 12 months. May the coming year see those leaders who have done so much damage to their own countries, and far beyond, at last be called to account. Let 2026 be a year of reckoning.
Driving the news: The Associated Press, CBS and other outlets reported that more than a dozen files that were previously available in the documents released Friday were no longer accessible Saturday. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche said on "Meet the Press" Sunday that speculation that a photo was removed because Trump was in it was "laughable." He told NBC's Kristen Welker that the DOJ removed the photo because of the women who were also included in it.