Israeli soldiers have shot and killed two Palestinian men during a raid in the occupied West Bank city of Jenin as the pair attempted to surrender to the military, according to video footage and witness accounts from the scene. Al Jazeera's Nour Odeh said journalists in Jenin reported on Thursday that the two men had pulled their shirts up, showing that they were unarmed before the military ordered them to go back into a building that they had been holed up in.
On Yablonska Street in Bucha, nothing remains to remind us that the Russian army committed its worst crimes during the war in Ukraine here. In March 2022, at the start of the invasion, more than 450 civilians were killed in this municipality north of Kyiv. Yablonska was one of the places where the largest number of bodies were recovered. The only building on the street that provides evidence the war continues today is the local military recruitment office.
The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), backed by the US and Israel to oversee the distribution of aid in Gaza, has announced it is ending its controversial mission and is closing aid distribution sites following a US-brokered ceasefire agreement. Under increasing international pressure to allow aid into the besieged Gaza Strip earlier this year, Israel and the US backed the GHF as an independent agency to administer aid.
At least 127 civilians have been killed in Israeli attacks on Lebanon since a ceasefire was declared nearly a year ago, the UN has said as it called for an impartial investigation into the strikes. We continue to witness increasing attacks by the Israeli military, resulting in the killing of civilians and destruction of civilian objects in Lebanon, coupled with alarming threats of a wider, intensified offensive, said Thameen Al-Kheetan, a spokesperson for the UN human rights office, at a Geneva press briefing.
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky said late Monday that "the list of necessary steps to end the war can become doable" after progress was made in Sunday's talks between U.S. and Ukrainian delegates in Geneva. He said he planned to discuss "sensitive" outstanding issues with President Donald Trump. Rustem Umerov, a senior adviser to Zelensky, wrote on social platform X on Tuesday that the Ukrainian leader hoped to finalize a deal with Trump "at the earliest suitable date in November."
For the last two months, US forces have amassed outside Venezuela and carried out a series of lethal strikes on civilian boats. The Trump White House has ordered these actions in the name of fighting narco-terrorists a label apparently applicable to anyone suspected of participating in drug trafficking near Latin American coastlines. More than 80 people have already been killed in these pre-emptive strikes, and war hawks are calling for expanded military action to depose the Venezuelan president, Nicolas Maduro.
A devastating Russian aerial assault on Ternopil in western Ukraine has killed at least 26 people and wounded dozens more, Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko has confirmed. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Thursday that 22 people were still missing at the site of Wednesday's Russian attack on Ternopil. Russia unleashed 476 drones and 48 missiles across Ukraine, striking vital energy and transportation infrastructure and forcing emergency power cut-offs during freezing weather. In Ternopil, the attack obliterated the upper floors of a residential building. Smoke billowed from the structure as firefighters battled the blaze while distraught residents gathered below, anxiously awaiting word about missing loved ones.
Ukraine's army said on Saturday it struck a Russian oil refinery in the Ryazan region near Moscow, as part of efforts to reduce the enemy's ability to launch missile and bomb strikes. Explosions and a large fire were observed at the site, said the military. Ryazan is located about 200km (125 miles) south-east of Moscow. Russian officials often do not admit such attacks have succeeded.
Fighting intensified in eastern Ukraine around the frontline city of Pokrovsk as Russia carried out another overnight attack on Kyiv that hit civilian infrastructure. First-responders were still searching through rubble on the morning of November 15, but the drone and missile strikes on the Ukrainian capital killed at least seven people, Kyiv military administration head Tymur Tkachenko said. Ukrainian authorities said that three missiles and 135 drones were fired overnight, with the country's air defenses taking out all but one missile and 41 drones.
The Ukrainian capital Kyiv was subjected to "massive" Russian air strikes in the early hours of Friday morning, leaving at least 11 people injured and buildings damaged in "almost every district." Among the injured were five people who had to be hospitalized, including one man in a critical condition and a pregnant woman, according to officials. Kyiv Mayor Vitaly Klitschko said air defense units were in operation to repel the "massive enemy attack" but that "sections of heating networks were damaged."
Irina Cesic celebrated her first birthday on October 8, 1993. Four days later, she was killedby a sniper's bullet on the streets of the Bosnian capital, Sarajevo. "Since Irina had just learned to walk, my wife Stana was holding her by the hand," Irina's father, Samir Cesic, told RFE/RL. "We never understood why someone would shoot at a 50-60-centimeter target -- the height of a one-year-old girl -- instead of a much larger one, like my wife, who would have been easier to hit."
If you want to shoot without restraint, you can, Daniel, the commander of an Israel Defense Forces (IDF) tank unit, says in Breaking Ranks: Inside Israel's War, due to be broadcast in the UK on ITV on Monday evening. Some of the IDF soldiers who talked to the programme requested anonymity while others spoke on the record. All pointed to the evaporation of the official code of conduct concerning civilians.
Russian drone attacks on the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, early on Sunday killed at least three people and wounded 29 others, according to Ukrainian Minister of Internal Affairs Ihor Klymenko. The wounded included seven children, Klymenko said. Russian attacks also killed a 63-year-old man in the southeastern Zaporizhia region on Sunday and one person in the eastern Kharkiv region on Saturday night, the Kyiv Independent reported on Sunday, citing local officials.