Bombing and shelling continued around Gaza City as Israelis staged protests calling for a ceasefire to free hostages. The military said back-to-back strikes on southern Gaza's largest hospital were ordered because soldiers believed militants used a camera to observe Israeli forces and because Israel long believed militant groups operate at hospitals. The chief of general staff acknowledged gaps in the initial investigation, including uncertainty about the ammunition used to destroy the camera. The strikes killed medics and journalists, including AP journalist Mariam Dagga. International leaders and rights groups condemned the strikes while Israeli leaders advanced plans for an expanded offensive.
The military said the back-to-back strikes on southern Gaza's largest hospital were ordered because soldiers believed militants were using the camera to observe Israeli forces and because Israel has long believed Hamas and other militant groups are present at hospitals. The military's chief of general staff acknowledged several "gaps" in the investigation so far, including the kind of ammunition used to take out the camera.
Earlier Tuesday, protesters in Israel torched tires, blocked highways and clamoured for a ceasefire that would free hostages still in Gaza, even as Israeli leaders moved forward with plans for an offensive which they argue is needed to defeat Hamas. Meanwhile, Palestinians in Gaza braced for the expanded offensive against a backdrop of displacement, destruction and parts of the territory plunging into famine.
Collection
[
|
...
]