Houthi threats and US-Iran conflict escalate Ramadan fears in Yemen
Briefly

Houthi threats and US-Iran conflict escalate Ramadan fears in Yemen
"He walked some metres to deliver a food parcel to a customer. Nearly a minute later, an air strike hit the hall, setting off a thunderous explosion. list of 3 itemsend of list Fire erupted, and smoke rose on the dark street at night. Passersby screamed and fled in panic. The attack happened last Ramadan, on March 19, 2025, in the Yemeni capital. Ahmed, who survived, said he will never forget that moment of horror."
"As Yemen enters this new Ramadan, memories of last year's United States-led aerial campaign, Operation Rough Rider, are resurfacing in Sanaa. The two-month operation, which Washington said targeted Houthi military infrastructure, killed at least 224 civilians, many of them in Ramadan last year. Today, the country remains in tumult amid rising tensions in the region. Ahmed and thousands of people like him fear a repeat of the violence that shattered the holiest month of the year."
Sanaa residents remain anxious ahead of Ramadan amid fears of renewed violence after last year's US-led Operation Rough Rider killed at least 224 civilians. Survivors recount air strikes that destroyed neighbourhood structures, charred vehicles and injured civilians, leaving lasting trauma and uncertainty about safety. Houthi authorities staged mass protests pledging readiness and solidarity with Iran and Hezbollah, declaring their hands 'on the trigger' against the US and Israel. The combination of recent Houthi rhetoric and regional tensions raises concerns of another campaign of aerial attacks and exacerbates civilian fears across northwest Yemen.
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]