
A roadmap for a permanent Gaza ceasefire sets obligations for Israel and Hamas. The UN urged the Security Council to press Hamas to disarm while requiring Israel to uphold its October ceasefire commitments. Progress cannot rely on Palestinian obligations alone. Continued killings and Israeli restrictions on humanitarian flows are described as concrete harms. The October 2025 ceasefire halted the war that followed October 7, 2023 attacks, yet the Israeli military maintains a strict security regime and further deaths continue. Conflict monitors warn that Israeli bombardment has accelerated since a separate US-Israel ceasefire with Iran was reached last month. Violent raids in the occupied West Bank are also increasing. Inaction risks a permanent divided Gaza with Hamas controlling military and administrative functions over millions of people.
"He urged the UNSC to use every means at its disposal to press Hamas to disarm, while also saying that Israel must uphold its commitment under a ceasefire agreed in October. Mladenov presented a roadmap detailing obligations for Israel and Hamas to implement a permanent ceasefire. He warned that the deteriorating status quo in the devastated Palestinian enclave risks becoming permanent, with Gaza divided and Hamas holding military and administrative control over two million people across less than half the territory."
"Let me say this clearly: the implementation cannot advance through Palestinian obligations alone, Mladenov said, speaking via video call. The continued killings and Israeli restrictions affecting humanitarian flows are not abstract issues, he said. The war that Israel launched following the October 7, 2023 attacks on southern Israel by Hamas and other armed Palestinian groups was halted by a ceasefire in October 2025. More than 72,775 Palestinians have been killed in the conflict."
"Conflict monitors warn that since the ceasefire in the US-Israel war on Iran was struck last month, Israeli bombardment of Gaza has accelerated. On Thursday, an Israeli drone attack killed a 26-year-old in Gaza's al-Mahatta area, east of Deir el-Balah city, according to Wafa news agency. Violent raids by settlers and the military in the occupied West Bank have also been increasing. Mladenov warned of the risks of inaction by both parties."
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]