
""A major win for workers and commuters," Hochul said on social media. "We'll keep fighting to ensure the federal government meets its commitments.""
""a huge win for New York, New Jersey, hundreds of thousands of commuters, thousands of union workers, and the economy of the entire region.""
""We have secured all of December's funding and even part of January's ahead of schedule. Workers will be back on the job very soon andGatewayis back on track," he said in a news release."
Construction on the $16 billion Hudson Tunnel Project will resume after the federal government released $127 million in previously frozen funds. New York and New Jersey sued after the U.S. Department of Transportation withheld $205 million since October 1. The funding freeze halted construction on February 6 and put about 1,000 workers out of work. The project will build a new commuter rail tunnel between Manhattan and New Jersey and repair a century-old tunnel used by more than 200,000 daily travelers and 425 trains. The Department of Transportation has not confirmed whether future funds will be withheld. Political bargaining reportedly involved requests to rename major transportation hubs, and federal officials paused funding amid administration opposition.
Read at NBC News
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]