Hamas welcomes Trump's pullback from Gaza mass displacement plan
Briefly

President Trump recently stated that no Palestinians would be expelled from Gaza, a reversal of his previous comments advocating for their displacement. Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem welcomed this change, emphasizing the need for the Israeli occupation to adhere to ceasefire agreements. The statement followed talks between Arab foreign ministers and a U.S. envoy focused on Gaza's reconstruction efforts. The region had previously been rattled by Trump's proposal for a U.S. takeover of Gaza, which sparked significant concern among neighboring nations and stakeholders.
"If US President Trump's statements represent a retreat from any idea of displacing the people of the Gaza Strip, they are welcomed," Qassem said in the statement.
"Trump sent shockwaves throughout the Middle East and beyond last month when he proposed a US takeover of Gaza and suggested that the war-torn territory's Palestinian population be permanently displaced to live in neighbouring countries."
"The Arab foreign ministers discussed the Gaza reconstruction plan, which was approved at the Arab League Summit held in Cairo on March 4, 2025, the ministry said."
"We call for this position to be reinforced by obligating the Israeli occupation to implement all the terms of the ceasefire agreements," he added.
Read at www.aljazeera.com
[
|
]