
The WHO warns that numbers are expected to rise as European officials say the risk of a European outbreak is low. Suspected Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda have increased to 600, with 139 suspected deaths. The WHO Emergency Committee met in Geneva and confirmed the virus remains a public health emergency of international concern, not a pandemic emergency. The WHO assesses the risk as high at national and regional levels and low at the global level. The priority is identifying all chains of transmission to define the outbreak’s scale and provide care. The outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo strain, for which no vaccine or treatment exists. Confirmed cases include 51 in DRC provinces and two in Kampala, Uganda, with one death. A suspected super-spreader event is believed to have occurred after the first suspected death reported on April 20.
"The WHO Emergency Committee met in Geneva on Wednesday, where Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus confirmed to reporters that the virus remains a public health emergency of international concern, but not a pandemic emergency. The WHO assess the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level, Tedros said. Previous figures reported by DRC officials were an estimated 131 deaths from 513 suspected cases."
"WHO emergencies chief Chikwe Ihekweazu said at the same news conference that the organisation's absolute priority now is to identify all the existing chains of transmission. That will then enable us to really define the scale of the outbreak and be able to provide care, Ihekweazu said. Tedros first declared the emergency on Sunday and said he had done so without consulting other experts due to the urgency of the situation."
"Health authorities say the outbreak is being fuelled by the Bundibugyo strain, a type of Ebola virus for which no vaccine or treatment exists. Of the 600 suspected cases, the WHO said 51 had been confirmed in the DRC's northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu. Uganda has also confirmed two cases in Kampala, including one death, from two people who travelled from the DRC to Uganda."
"A medical missionary who contracted Ebola in the DRC is also being transported to Germany for treatment. WHO experts said that they believe the outbreak began a few months ago, with the first suspected death reported on April 20. After the first death, officials said, a suspected super-spreader event is believed"
#ebola #world-health-organization #democratic-republic-of-the-congo #uganda #public-health-emergency
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]