Eighteen Senegalese football fans detained in Morocco over hooliganism during last month's Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final have begun a hunger strike pending their trial. Lawyer Patrick Kabou said his clients told him they have been waiting to learn the charges against them since January 18, the day they were arrested after a heated AFCON final in which Senegal beat Morocco in Rabat.
Referencing concerns about this year's World Cup in north America and criticism in the build-up to Qatar 2022, Infantino said: "For the first time in history, also, no Brit was arrested during a World Cup." To laughter at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland, he added: "Imagine. This is something really, really special." Understandably the comments angered the Football Supporters' Association, which accused Infantino of making "cheap jokes" about England fans.
They have dismissed the misdemeanour charges as groundless. Marinakis was not in the packed courtroom at Athens' high-security Korydallos prison on Wednesday and was represented by his lawyer. Masked police officers guarded a few defendants still in detention. More than 210 people will testify before the three-member bench during the trial, which lawyers estimate could last more than a year.