NATO weighs Gulf deployment as Hormuz crisis deepens - London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com
Briefly

NATO weighs Gulf deployment as Hormuz crisis deepens - London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com
NATO member states are discussing a possible naval deployment to protect commercial vessels traveling through the Strait of Hormuz if the waterway remains closed beyond early July. The corridor carries a significant share of global oil and gas supplies, and fears of energy disruption are increasing. Any operation would require unanimous backing from all NATO allies before formal planning begins. Gen Alexus Hrynkiewicz said political direction must be set before planning and indicated the possibility is actively being considered. NATO officials have previously said involvement would occur only after a ceasefire and the formation of a broader international coalition beyond NATO. Donald Trump has criticized allied reluctance to assist American efforts to secure the waterway and stabilize energy supplies, including complaints about not sending minesweepers.
"First, the political direction is determined, and then formal planning takes place. Am I thinking about it? Absolutely."
"Until now, alliance officials have insisted NATO would only contemplate involvement following a ceasefire agreement and the creation of a wider international coalition extending beyond NATO members alone."
"You would have thought they would have said, 'We'd love to send a couple of minesweepers,' That's not a big deal. But they didn't do that."
"Any operation would require unanimous backing from all NATO allies before formal planning could begin. Asked about the prospect during a briefing on Tuesday, Gen Alexus Hrynkiewicz, Supreme Allied Commander Europe, indicated the possibility was being actively considered, though no operational planning had yet commenced."
[
|
]