Hamas rejects Netanyahu aide's 60-day ultimatum for group to disarm
Briefly

Hamas rejects Netanyahu aide's 60-day ultimatum for group to disarm
"A top aide to Netanyahu, Fuchs claimed that the two-month period was requested by the United States administration. We are respecting that, he said. Without confirming when the ultimatum would exactly start, Fuchs said it might begin with the February 19 meeting of US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace a Washington-backed plan for the reconstruction of Gaza. We will evaluate it, Fuchs said. If it works, great. If not, then the IDF [Israeli army] will have to complete the mission."
"Hamas's Mardawi told Al Jazeera Mubasher that any threat to renew the war would have serious repercussions for the region and stressed that the Palestinian people will not surrender, AJA reported. The second phase of the ceasefire agreement began in mid-January, in which the US says it will tackle the disarmament of Hamas and the deployment of an international peacekeeping force. Hamas has refused to give up arms as long as Israel continues to occupy Gaza."
Israeli Cabinet Secretary Yossi Fuchs threatened to renew war on Gaza if Hamas failed to disarm within 60 days, saying the two-month period was requested by the United States and could begin with the February 19 meeting of US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace. Fuchs said the plan will be evaluated and that if it fails the IDF will have to complete the mission. Senior Hamas official Mahmoud Mardawi said he had no knowledge of such a demand, warned of serious regional repercussions from any renewed war, and said the Palestinian people will not surrender. The second phase of the ceasefire began in mid-January, with the US saying it will address Hamas disarmament and deploy an international peacekeeping force. Hamas has refused to give up arms while Israel continues to occupy Gaza. Earlier this month Khaled Meshaal rejected calls to disarm Palestinian factions in Gaza.
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]