Gaza death toll in early part of war far higher than reported, says Lancet study
Briefly

Gaza death toll in early part of war far higher than reported, says Lancet study
"More than 75,000 people were killed in the first 16 months of the two-year war in Gaza, at least 25,000 more than the death toll announced by local authorities at the time, according to a study published on Wednesday in the Lancet medical journal. The research also found that reporting by the Gaza health ministry about the proportion of women, children and elderly people among those killed was accurate."
"A total of 42,200 women, children and elderly people died between 7 October 2023, when Hamas launched a surprise attack into Israel that prompted a devastating Israeli offensive into Gaza, and 5 January 2025, the study found. These deaths comprised 56% of violent deaths in Gaza. The combined evidence suggests that, as of 5 January 2025, 3-4% of the population of the Gaza Strip had been killed violently and there have been a substantial number of non-violent deaths caused indirectly by the conflict,"
More than 75,000 people were killed in the first 16 months of the two-year war in Gaza, at least 25,000 more than death figures announced by local authorities at the time. Reporting by the Gaza health ministry about the proportions of women, children and elderly among those killed matched independent findings. A total of 42,200 women, children and elderly died between 7 October 2023 and 5 January 2025, comprising 56% of violent deaths. Combined evidence indicates that by 5 January 2025 roughly 3–4% of the Gaza Strip population had been killed violently, with a substantial number of additional indirect, non-violent deaths.
Read at www.theguardian.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]