New York Times sues Pentagon again over utterly unreasonable' press restrictions
Briefly

New York Times sues Pentagon again over utterly unreasonable' press restrictions
"The New York Times has filed a second lawsuit against the Pentagon, arguing that its recent policy requiring journalists to have official escorts when on Pentagon grounds is unconstitutional. The Trump administration unveiled sweeping restrictions on press access at the US Department of Defense, which it calls the Department of War, last September. In a suit filed in the US district court in Washington on Monday, the Times argued that an interim policy introduced in the spring had imposed utterly unreasonable restrictions on journalists attempting to cover the department."
"In the complaint, the Times argues that to report effectively on the Department, a reporter often must speak with over a dozen officials sitting in Public Affairs offices spread throughout the building. For decades, it added, the Pentagon's press access policies reflected this physical reality by allowing reporters unescorted access in unsecured corridors, so that they can move from press office to press office and ask questions on short notice as events unfolded."
"But a policy that the Pentagon adopted in March breaks sharply from that history and tradition, the paper argued. Now, to ask even one question, Barnes and other reporters must call or email for an appointment, wait for a response, get an escort, ask their question, and return to the library outside the Pentagon only to repeat the process for the next source. Reporters must either forgo conversations or else spend hours chasing schedulers by phone and shuttling in and out of the building, the complaint adds."
"The Pentagon has previously said press access to the department is a privilege extended by the government. The Times sa"
A second lawsuit was filed against the Pentagon by the New York Times, challenging a policy that requires journalists to have official escorts while on Pentagon grounds. The policy was introduced in spring and followed broader press access restrictions announced in September. The lawsuit argues the interim rules impose unreasonable barriers to effective reporting by limiting journalists’ ability to move quickly between Public Affairs offices and speak with many officials. The complaint says earlier Pentagon access policies allowed unescorted movement through unsecured corridors, enabling reporters to ask questions on short notice as events developed. Under the March policy, reporters must request appointments, wait for responses, obtain escorts, ask questions, and repeat the process for each source, which can force reporters to forgo conversations or spend hours coordinating access.
Read at www.theguardian.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]