Strong winds and rain delayed early arrivals to Burning Man, stalling traffic for hours on the road to Nevada's Black Rock Desert. The National Weather Service issued a wind advisory with gusts up to 45 mph before the gate opened. Organizers advised on-site participants to batten down and asked those en route to wait in Reno; traffic was turned back at Wadsworth off Interstate 80. The gate reopened at 7:30 a.m. Monday, and Burner Express buses departed on schedule. At 10 a.m., travel time from the gravel section to the gate exceeded eight hours. Weather is expected to remain unstable for two more days, and traffic will rise as the event continues through Labor Day.
Wind and rain snarled early arrivals to Burning Man, with traffic stalled for hours Sunday on the road to Nevada's Black Rock Desert. In the hours Saturday night before the event's gate was set to open, the National Weather Service issued a wind advisory forecasting gusts of up to 45 mph. Organizers put out the word for people already on site to batten down and for those en route to hold up in Reno if possible.
Conditions improved early Monday and the gate was reopened at 7:30 a.m., according to information streams from the event. Travelers in Reno were told they could proceed; Burner Express Bus service from Reno and San Francisco was departing on schedule. At 10 a.m., travel time from gravel to gate the last, unpaved section was more than 8 hours, the @bmantraffic X stream said.
The weather is expected to be unstable for two more days, the Black Rock City dashboard said. Please keep an eye on the forecast as you plan your travel to Black Rock City. The past two years have seen extreme weather events at Burning Man heavy rain in 2023 and a severe dust storm last year. This year, the forecast had been more encouraging.
Collection
[
|
...
]