No evidence of formal security vetting when Andrew became UK trade envoy, minister says
Briefly

No evidence of formal security vetting when Andrew became UK trade envoy, minister says
Documents released by the government relate to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s appointment as a trade envoy in 2001. A memo dated 25 February 2000 from David Wright, then chief executive of British Trade International, states that Queen Elizabeth II wanted Mountbatten-Windsor, then Duke of York, to take the role. The government says it found no evidence that formal due diligence or security vetting was carried out at the time, even though the position provided access to senior government and business contacts worldwide. Trade minister Chris Bryant said no vetting evidence was found and that the appointment continued the royal family’s trade and investment promotion work, with Mountbatten-Windsor replacing the Duke of Kent. The document release followed a Liberal Democrat parliamentary request for papers including any vetting and related correspondence.
"The government published historic documents concerning the appointment on Thursday in response to a parliamentary move by the Liberal Democrats and said it had found no evidence that formal due diligence or security vetting was carried out at the time, despite the role giving Mountbatten-Windsor access to senior government and business contacts around the world. We have found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken. There is also no evidence that this was considered, Chris Bryant, a trade minister, said in a written statement to parliament."
"The first batch of documents relating to the appointment of the former prince as trade envoy by Tony Blair in 2001 includes a memo dated 25 February 2000 and addressed to Robin Cook, then the foreign secretary, in which the then chief executive of British Trade International, David Wright, said Queen Elizabeth II's wish had been for Mountbatten-Windsor, then the Duke of York, to take on the role."
"Bryant said this was understandable since this new appointment was a continuation of the royal family's involvement in trade and investment promotion work, and because Mountbatten-Windsor was replacing the Duke of Kent, who was stepping down from his role as vice-chair of the Overseas Trade Board. The government's response, which includes the publication of 11 documents that show how the role was created and Mountbatten-Windsor was appointed, comes after the Liberal Democrats tabled a humble address in parliament calling for the publication of papers on his role, including any vetting and any correspondence from Peter Mandelson, the disgraced former ambassador to the US."
Read at www.theguardian.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]