Yankees fans pack the Bronx for opening day as team lifts decades-old beard ban Bronx Times
Briefly

On opening day, the New York Yankees allowed fans to celebrate the lifting of their beard ban with creative facial hair designs. A pop-up barbershop sponsored by Philips Norelco offered free trims at Stan's Sports Bar, where fans like Bryan Cain received creative styles from barber Nestor Lebron. The Yankees' decision to lift the ban, a tradition since the 1970s, reflects a modern shift in team culture. Some players, like pitcher Carlos Rodon, embraced their facial hair for the season opener, while the response from fans varied across social media.
This marks the first season since the Bronx Bombers lifted their long-standing beard ban. The Yankees dropped their decades-old facial hair policy during spring training, ending a tradition that dated back to the 1970s.
The pinstripes was probably my favorite, but sadly it's gone, Misischia said. Fans and players sported some well-groomed features Thursday.
Pitcher Carlos Rodon brought back the beard he wore with his former teams, the San Francisco Giants and the Chicago White Sox, for the season opener.
Managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner said that the team had been considering the change internally for several years, indicating a shift in team culture.
Read at www.bxtimes.com
[
|
]