All or nothing: Hochul says Gateway Tunnel project won't resume until Trump releases remaining $205M in frozen funds | amNewYork
Briefly

All or nothing: Hochul says Gateway Tunnel project won't resume until Trump releases remaining $205M in frozen funds | amNewYork
"Gov. Kathy Hochul announced on Tuesday that the Trump administration has released just over half of the $205 million in Gateway Tunnel funding it froze in October but the rail project's work stoppage will only end when the full amount is provided. Hochul gathered with construction workers at the Manhattan Gateway construction site on Feb. 17 revealed that the Trump administration released another $77 million it had frozen last fall to the Gateway Development Commission (GDC), which is leading construction on the effort."
"The latest funding disbursement comes after the feds unfroze another $30 million on Friday night in response to an order from a Manhattan federal judge. Although the feds' release of the funds is a positive step, the governor said that Trump's move to withhold them in the first place has sown chaos and confusion. That is especially true for the workers, whom Hochul noted have been off the job since construction halted on Feb. 6."
The Trump administration released an additional $77 million of previously frozen Gateway Tunnel funding, bringing recently unfrozen total to $107 million after a prior $30 million release. The funds had been withheld beginning in October pending a review of compliance with new diversity, equity, and inclusion rules. A Manhattan federal judge ordered the release after New York and New Jersey attorneys general sued, arguing the freeze was illegal. Construction on the Gateway project has been halted since Feb. 6, leaving workers off the job. The Gateway project will replace a two-tube tunnel carrying hundreds of Amtrak and New Jersey Transit trains beneath the Hudson River.
Read at www.amny.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]