Bus Eireann investigating footage of driver breaking red light at pedestrian crossing metres from where boy (8) was killed
Briefly

Bus Eireann investigating footage of driver breaking red light at pedestrian crossing metres from where boy (8) was killed
"The video, posted on a community Facebook page last week, shows a bus driving through a red light at a pedestrian crossing on the Cork road near the town. The dashcam footage, captured on Friday, February 13, shows the viewpoint from a vehicle approaching the town before the pedestrian crossing, where two young children were waiting. A Bus Éireann vehicle on the 220 route is seen leaving the town, approaching the vehicle with the dashcam."
"The lights turn amber and then red before the bus clears the crossing. The two children wait until the bus has passed, and then they proceed to walk across the road at the pedestrian crossing. A spokesperson for Bus Éireann said: "Bus Éireann takes the safety of our customers, staff and other road users extremely seriously. We are aware of the footage in question and are currently reviewing the matter in line with our internal procedures.""
"An eight-year-old boy, André Castro Ladeiro, was killed at a pedestrian crossing on the same road in August 2023. André was out cycling with his parents when a driver of a Ford Ranger Wildtrak also failed to stop for a red light, approximately 130 metres up the road. The driver, John Moynihan, 62, of Parkanillane, Kilnamartrya, Macroom in Co Cork, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing the death of André last year."
Dashcam footage shows a Bus Éireann 220 route vehicle running a red light at a pedestrian crossing on the Cork road while two young children waited. The lights turned amber then red before the bus cleared the crossing and the children then walked across. Bus Éireann said it takes safety extremely seriously and is reviewing the footage under internal procedures. In August 2023 an eight-year-old, André Castro Ladeiro, was killed at a crossing on the same road when a Ford Ranger failed to stop for a red light; the driver pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death, received a three-year sentence with one year suspended and was disqualified from driving for six years. Gardaí said speed, alcohol, drugs and mobile phone use were not factors, and the child’s mother reported severe trauma from witnessing the incident.
Read at Irish Independent
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]