Wexford driver banned for four years after 26-minute garda pursuit
Briefly

Wexford driver banned for four years after 26-minute garda pursuit
A 20-year-old driver from Camolin pleaded guilty to dangerous driving offences linked to a 26-minute pursuit in north Wexford on November 17, 2024. Gardaí signalled the vehicle to stop, but it accelerated away, leading to observations of repeated dangerous manoeuvres. The driver exceeded 100km/h in a 50km/h built-up area, failed to stop at junctions, and drove on the wrong side of the road. One near-collision occurred when the driver entered a stop junction at about 100km/h as another vehicle approached. The driver reached 120km/h in another 50km/h zone before the vehicle left the road, entered a ditch, and overturned. The court imposed a four-year driving disqualification.
"Garda Vincent Downes told the court that he had been on patrol when he signalled for a vehicle driven by Kehoe to stop. Instead, the vehicle accelerated away, prompting a lengthy pursuit. During the chase, Garda Downes observed a series of dangerous manoeuvres, including the accused driving at speeds in excess of 100kmh in a 50kmh built-up area, repeatedly failing to stop at junctions and driving on the wrong side of the road."
"One incident almost resulted in a serious collision when Kehoe drove through a stop junction at approximately 100kmh as another vehicle approached. The court also heard that the accused reached speeds of 120kmh in another 50kmh zone before the pursuit eventually came to an end when the vehicle entered a ditch and was launched into the air before coming to a stop."
"When she asked the young man why he failed to stop for gardaí, he said that he had panicked. Counsel submitted that Kehoe's immaturity and young age were significant factors in what occurred that night. The court heard that Kehoe is currently undertaking an agricultural mechanic apprenticeship in Tralee."
Read at Irish Independent
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]