NYC nursing walkout ends as last striking nurses approve new contract
Briefly

NYC nursing walkout ends as last striking nurses approve new contract
"The union has said the strike initially involved about 15,000 nurses overall at Montefiore, Mount Sinai and NewYork-Presbyterian. It affected only some facilities within the three systems and didn't involve any city-run hospitals. During the strike, Montefiore, Mount Sinai and NewYork-Presbyterian brought on thousands of temporary nurses, transferred some patients and canceled some procedures. The hospitals insisted they were smoothly delivering care, including complex surgeries. But some vulnerable patients and their families said some routine tasks took longer."
"More than 4,000 nurses in the privately run NewYork-Presbyterian system went on strike Jan. 12. They are now due to start returning to work in the coming week. The union, called the New York State Nurses Association, said 93% of its members at NewYork-Presbyterian voted to ratify the three-year contract. Two other big private hospital systems, Montefiore and Mount Sinai, ended their nurses' walkout earlier this month by inking contract agreements with the same union."
More than 4,000 nurses at NewYork-Presbyterian approved a three-year contract and began returning to work after a strike that began Jan. 12. Ninety-three percent of union members at NewYork-Presbyterian ratified the pact. Montefiore and Mount Sinai reached similar agreements earlier, ending their walkouts. The contract includes staffing improvements, raises exceeding 12% over three years and safeguards on artificial intelligence. The broader strike initially involved about 15,000 nurses across the three systems and affected only some facilities. Hospitals used thousands of temporary nurses, transferred patients and canceled procedures while maintaining complex surgeries; some patients experienced delays in routine tasks. Nurses had complained of unmanageable workloads and threats to benefits.
Read at Aol
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]