
"Systemic failures led to the 88-million robbery at the Louvre museum in Paris last year, MPs leading an inquiry said on Thursday, raising pressure on embattled director Laurence des Cars. Presenting an interim assessment of their work after 70 hearings, inquiry leaders Alexandre Portier and Alexis Corbiere openly questioned why des Cars remained in her position. "The Louvre theft is not an accident. It reveals systemic failures at the museum," Portier told a press conference, adding that the institution had been "in denial about risk"."
"Saying that management "is currently failing", he underlined that "in quite a few countries and institutions" this would have led the director to step down. Des Cars offered her resignation shortly after the October 19th break-in, but it was refused by President Emmanuel Macron, who named her to the position in 2021. The inquiry, which is headed by opposition party MPs, is set to audition des Cars and Culture Minister Rachida Dati next week."
MPs leading an inquiry concluded that systemic failures enabled the €88 million theft of French crown jewels from the Louvre, increasing pressure on director Laurence des Cars. Inquiry leaders reported 70 hearings and openly questioned why des Cars remains in post, saying management "is currently failing" and the museum had been "in denial about risk." Des Cars offered to resign after the October 19 break-in but President Emmanuel Macron refused. The commission will audition des Cars and Culture Minister Rachida Dati next week, deliver findings in early May, and the culture ministry has ordered an internal audit.
Read at www.thelocal.fr
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]