
An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed at least 131 people and may be spreading faster than first thought. WHO officials warn that investigations show cases have disseminated beyond the initial epicentre in Ituri province, including into other provinces and across borders. More than 513 suspected cases were reported in DR Congo, and one death occurred in neighbouring Uganda. Modelling from the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis suggests substantial under-detection and that total cases could already exceed 1,000. The outbreak may have been ongoing for weeks before detection on 24 April. No vaccine exists for the specific Ebola strain, while WHO evaluates whether other drugs can provide protection. Insecurity and population movement hinder investigation and control efforts.
"An Ebola outbreak which has killed at least 131 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo may be spreading faster than originally thought, a World Health Organization (WHO) representative has warned. Dr Anne Ancia told the BBC that the more the agency investigates, the clearer it becomes that cases have spread to other areas. Officials said more than 513 cases were suspected in DR Congo as of Tuesday, while one person has died in neighbouring Uganda."
"Modelling by the London-based MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis released on Monday suggested there had been "substantial" under-detection, and that it could not rule out there had already been more than 1,000 cases. WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who declared the outbreak an international emergency last week, said he was "deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic". It is feared the outbreak may have been ongoing for several weeks before it was first detected on 24 April."
"There is no vaccine for the strain of Ebola virus fuelling the latest rise in cases, but the WHO is evaluating whether other drugs may provide protection. Speaking to BBC World Service Newsday, Ancia said DR Congo's Ituri province, the epicentre of the outbreak, is a "very unsecured area with lots of movement of population", making it difficult for the agency to investigate and help control the disease. She continued: "The more we are investigating this outbreak, the more we realise that it has already disseminated at least a little bit across border and also in other provinces.""
"The outbreak has spread to the province of South Kivu, where the population has been affected by a humanitarian crisis for many years, she added. There has also been a case in eastern DR Congo's biggest city, Goma, which has a population of around 850,000 people and under the control of Rwandan-backed rebels. High levels of insecurity in several provi"
#ebola #democratic-republic-of-congo #public-health-emergency #disease-surveillance #insecurity-and-population-movement
Read at www.bbc.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]