Omar Torres, 43, was convicted in April after pleading no contest to forcible sodomy, forcible oral copulation, and molesting a child under 14. He received an 18-year state prison sentence and must register as a sex offender for life. The abuse began in 1999 and continued for years until Torres became concerned he would be caught. The victim contacted police after public reports about a separate investigation into potential sexual abuse of minors. Torres served as a San Jose City Council member for downtown District 3 from 2023 until late 2024 and resigned in early November 2024. Torres had previously served as an elected trustee of the San Jose-Evergreen Community College District.
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Former San Jose City Councilman Omar Torres was sentenced on Friday to 18 years in state prison for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old boy in 1999, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office said. Torres, 43, was convicted in April when he pled no contest to three charges: forcible sodomy, forcible oral copulation, and molesting a child under the age of 14. Torres will register as a sex offender for life.
"Today's sentence holds Omar Torres accountable for perpetrating horrendous crimes against a child," District Attorney Jeff Rosen said. "This sentence sends a strong message that no one is above the law, and it is never too late for justice. We admire the victim's courage to come forward to report the abuse he suffered."
Collection
[
|
...
]