
Manuel Neuer was named Germany’s starting goalkeeper for the World Cup after coming out of international retirement. Julian Nagelsmann selected Neuer as one of the best three goalkeepers, alongside Oliver Baumann and Alexander Nübel. Neuer, 40, last played for Germany at Euro 2024 and is set to appear in his fifth successive World Cup, adding to his 2014 title. He had a solid season with Bayern Munich, who can win the domestic double after the German Cup final. Nagelsmann’s 26-man squad includes Bayern teenager Lennart Karl, plus Nadiem Amiri and Leroy Sané. Some notable omissions include Niclas Füllkrug, Karim Adeyemi, and Kevin Schade.
"Yes I plan with [Neuer as No 1], Nagelsmann said on Thursday. The main task was to nominate the best three keepers. So we decided that these three are part of that. We contacted Manuel and asked him if he wanted to play for the national team again. The 40-year-old Neuer, who last competed for Germany at Euro 2024 before his international retirement, is now set to play in his fifth successive World Cup, joining an elite group of players with five or more tournaments."
"Neuer, a 2014 World Cup winner, enjoyed a solid season with champions Bayern, who can win the domestic double with victory over Stuttgart in the German Cup final on Saturday. He signed a contract extension with Bayern last week. There were few other major surprises in Nagelsmann's 26-man squad for the tournament starting next month, but the coach also called up Bayern teenager Lennart Karl, who enjoyed a meteoric rise this season, as well as Nadiem Amiri and Leroy Sane, who both had outside chances of earning a spot."
"Niclas Fullkrug, Karim Adeyemi and Kevin Schade are some of the players that didn't make the cut. They [players] fit well together. It is a good mix. Many have been playing since the youth together, Nagelsmann said. We are happy with our choice but know others will stay at home who have performed very well."
Read at www.theguardian.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]