Woman in Syrian detention camp banned from returning to Australia for up to two years
Briefly

Woman in Syrian detention camp banned from returning to Australia for up to two years
"Facing another day of pressure over the families of killed or captured IS fighters, prime minister Anthony Albanese continued to maintain that his government was doing nothing to assist or repatriate them. When asked about reports the group had been issued passports by the government, Albanese insisted it was simply implementation of Australian law. We are providing no assistance to these people, and won't provide any assistance to these people, but we won't breach Australian law, he told a press conference."
"On Monday night, 34 Australian women and children left from al-Roj camp, in north-eastern Syria, after being released by Kurdish authorities for their expected repatriation to Australia. But they were forced to return due to poor coordination between their relatives and the Damascus government, a camp official told Agence France-Presse. The Guardian understands their repatriation had not been organised by the Australian government and it was unclear if the group were in possession of their travel documents."
Thirty-four Australian women and children were released from al-Roj camp in north-eastern Syria by Kurdish authorities and attempted repatriation to Australia. They returned after poor coordination between relatives and the Damascus government. One adult from the group has been issued a temporary exclusion order banning entry to Australia for up to two years. The other group members have not been assessed by intelligence agencies as meeting thresholds for entry bans and could return if they arrange their own travel. The government says it will not assist repatriation while maintaining that issuing passports implements Australian law. Home Affairs is seeking security advice on possible further TEO applications.
Read at www.theguardian.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]