Vietnam prepares to evacuate half a million people ahead of Typhoon Kajiki
Briefly

Typhoon Kajiki, with winds up to 166km/h (103mph) at sea, is due to make landfall on Monday afternoon and is expected to bring heavy rain, flooding and landslides. Tens of thousands of people along Vietnam's South China Sea coastline have been ordered to evacuate, with about 30,000 already relocated from coastal areas and authorities warning more than half a million could be moved. More than 16,500 soldiers and 107,000 paramilitary personnel have been mobilised to assist evacuations and stand by for search and rescue. Two airports in Thanh Hoa and Quang Binh provinces were closed and dozens of flights were cancelled. Coastal provinces banned ships from going to sea and recalled vessels.
Tens of thousands of people have been ordered to evacuate from Vietnam's coastline facing the South China Sea, with airports and schools shut as authorities brace for Typhoon Kajiki. The Vietnamese government said on Monday that about 30,000 people had been evacuated from coastal areas. Authorities said on Sunday that more than half a million people would be evacuated and ordered boats to remain in port. list of 4 itemslist 1 of 4list 2 of 4list 3 of 4list 4 of 4end of list
This is an extremely dangerous fast-moving storm, the government said in a statement on Sunday night, warning that Kajiki would bring heavy rains, flooding and landslides. More than 16,500 soldiers and 107,000 paramilitary personnel have been mobilised to help with the evacuation and to stand by for search and rescue, the government said. The typhoon with winds of up to 166km/h (103mph) at sea is due to make landfall on Monday afternoon, the country's weather agency said.
The Joint Typhoon Warning Center said conditions suggested an approaching weakening trend as the system approaches the continental shelf of the Gulf of Tonkin where there is less ocean heat content. Two airports in the Thanh Hoa and Quang Binh provinces have been closed, according to the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam. Vietnam Airlines and Vietjet Air cancelled dozens of flights to and from the area on Sunday and Monday.
Coastal provinces have banned ships from going out to sea starting Monday and were calling in those already out, said Vietnam's news agency. Vietnam is prone to storms that are often deadly and trigger dangerous flooding and mudslides. More than 100 people were killed or went missing due to natural disasters in the first seven months of 2025, according to the Ministry of Agriculture. Last year, Typhoon Yagi killed about 300 people and caused property damage of approximately $3.3bn. Th
Read at www.aljazeera.com
[
|
]