Rwanda accepts seven people from US as part of deportation deal
Briefly

Seven vetted migrants arrived in Rwanda in mid-August under a deal to accept deportees from the United States. Three expressed a desire to return to their home countries, while four want to remain and build lives in Rwanda. Rwanda agreed on 5 August to accept up to 250 people and retain the ability to approve each proposed resettlement. The first arrivals will be accommodated by an international organisation with visits from the International Organisation on Migration and Rwandan social services. Arrivals would receive training, healthcare and accommodation. The move forms part of a broader US push for third-country deportations.
Seven people have arrived in Rwanda as part of a deal to accept deportees from the US, the Rwandan government has said. The first group of seven vetted migrants arrived in Rwanda in mid-August Three of the individuals have expressed a desire to return to their home countries, while four wish to stay and build lives in Rwanda, Yolande Makolo, a government spokesperson, said on Thursday.
Rwanda said on 5 August it would accept up to 250 people from the US, and that it would have the ability to approve each individual proposed for resettlement. The first arrivals would be accommodated by an international organisation with visits by the International Organisation on Migration and Rwandan social services, Makolo said. Rwanda agreed to the scheme with Washington because nearly every Rwandan family has experienced the hardships of displacement, Makolo said earlier this month.
Read at www.theguardian.com
[
|
]