
"Nearly a year since the Palestinian-Israeli film No Other Land won an Academy Award, its co-director, Hamdan Ballal, says Israeli settler attacks on the cluster of occupied West Bank villages known as Masafer Yatta have only gotten worse, as those involved in the documentary bear the brunt of Israeli reprisals. The latest bout of violence came on Sunday, when Israeli settlers stormed Ballal's hometown of Susya, despite an Israeli court ruling designating the area around his home as closed to non-residents."
"One of his brothers was held in a chokehold by an army officer and later hospitalised with breathing difficulties. Four other relatives two brothers, a nephew, and a cousin were detained for several hours as they arrived at the scene. They have all since been released. The Palestinian film director said his family was ambushed by the same Israeli settler who led an attack against him as he returned from the Oscar ceremony in Los Angeles last March."
Israeli settlers stormed Susya despite an Israeli court ruling designating the area around Hamdan Ballal's home as closed to non-residents. Israeli army officers called to enforce the ruling sided with the attackers. One brother was held in a chokehold and hospitalised with breathing difficulties, and four relatives were detained for several hours before release. Ballal was previously ambushed and blindfolded by settlers and army officers after returning from the Oscars, sustaining head and stomach injuries. Retaliation has targeted Ballal's family to avoid media attention, including restrictions on grazing and ploughing, arrests, questioning, and intimidation to vacate homes.
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]