A deal to free hostages held in Gaza is on the table, with the final decision placed with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Military leaders claim that intensified offensive pressure has created conditions conducive to a hostage exchange but caution that a ground assault on Gaza City could endanger captive lives. A truce proposal mediated by Qatar and Egypt proposes a 60-day cessation of operations, humanitarian aid access, and the exchange of half of 50 Israeli captives for Palestinian prisoners. Israel has proceeded with plans to seize Gaza City despite a United Nations-backed declaration of famine and reports of tens of thousands of Palestinian deaths. Protests in Israel call for ending the war and returning captives.
Zamir claimed that the army's assault on Gaza, which has driven the enclave towards famine and killed tens of thousands of Palestinians, has created the conditions for a captive deal with Hamas. As a result of the military pressure, we created the conditions for the release of the hostages, he said, according to an official statement released by the Israeli military and reported by Israeli media. The comments come as Israel's security cabinet is set to meet on Tuesday to discuss the latest truce proposal mediated by Qatar and Egypt.
Last week, Hamas said it had accepted the new proposals, which call for a temporary cessation of military operations for 60 days, during which the entry of humanitarian aid would be allowed, and half of the 50 Israeli captives would be exchanged for Palestinian prisoners. But Israel has gone ahead with its plan to seize Gaza City home to nearly one million people despite a United Nations-backed body last week declaring famine in Gaza amid an Israeli curbs on the entry of food items.
Collection
[
|
...
]