Fifty pupils escape after mass kidnapping in Nigeria, bishop says
Briefly

Fifty pupils escape after mass kidnapping in Nigeria, bishop says
"Fifty of the more than 300 students kidnapped from a Nigerian Catholic school last week have escaped, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) said on Sunday. The pupils escaped between Friday and Saturday and have since been reunited with their parents, CAN's chair, Bulus Yohanna, said in a statement. About 253 children and 12 staff members were still with the kidnappers, added Yohanna, a Catholic bishop who is also the proprietor of the school."
"Gunmen kidnapped students and teachers from St Mary's school in the north-west of the country on Friday, the latest in a spate of school attacks this week that has forced the government to shut 47 colleges. Pope Leo asked on Sunday for the immediate release of the abducted children and staff. I make a heartfelt appeal for the immediate release of the hostages, Leo said at the end of a mass in St Peter's Square in Rome."
Fifty of the more than 300 students kidnapped from a Nigerian Catholic school last week escaped and have been reunited with their parents. The pupils escaped between Friday and Saturday, CAN's chair Bulus Yohanna said. About 253 children and 12 staff members remained with the kidnappers, Yohanna added. Yohanna is a Catholic bishop and the proprietor of the school. Gunmen kidnapped students and teachers from St Mary's school in the north-west of the country on Friday. The abduction was the latest in a spate of school attacks that forced the government to close 47 colleges this week. Pope Leo made a heartfelt appeal for the immediate release of the abducted children and staff at the end of a mass in St Peter's Square in Rome.
Read at www.theguardian.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]