Australia has accused Iran of directing at least two anti‑Jewish attacks in Sydney and Melbourne that involved arson, causing extensive damage but no casualties. The government describes the incidents as extraordinary, dangerous acts of aggression intended to undermine social cohesion. Australian authorities have informed the Iranian ambassador he must leave and have declared three embassy staff persona non grata, marking the first ambassadorial expulsion since World War II. Australia has suspended operations at its embassy in Tehran, moved diplomats to a third country, withdrawn its envoy, and will legislate to list the IRGC as a terrorist organisation while maintaining limited diplomatic channels.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has accused Iran of directing at least two anti-Jewish attacks in his country and announced plans to expel Iran's ambassador to Canberra. Speaking to reporters in the Australian capital on Tuesday, Albanese described the attacks, which took place in Sydney and Melbourne last year, as extraordinary and dangerous acts of aggression orchestrated by a foreign nation with the aim of undermining social cohesion in Australia.
It is totally unacceptable, and the Australian government is taking strong and decisive action, he said. A short time ago, we informed the Iranian ambassador to Australia that he will be expelled. The prime minister said Australia has also suspended operations at its embassy in the Iranian capital, Tehran, and moved all of its diplomats to a third country. I can also announce the government will legislate to list Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, the IRGC, as a terrorist organisation, he added.
Collection
[
|
...
]