TikTok shutdown deadline will keep getting extended, says Trump
Briefly

President Donald Trump has repeatedly extended the U.S. deadline for TikTok's divestiture while allowing the platform to continue operating until a buyer is found. Congress approved a ban unless ByteDance sells its controlling stake, and the administration has issued three extensions with the next deadline on September 17. Trump called security and privacy concerns "highly overrated" and said American buyers exist. Earlier extensions included an executive order on January 20 and a second extension after a potential U.S. spin-off deal collapsed when China withdrew following tariff announcements. Public opinion has shifted, with Pew finding support for a ban falling from 50% to about one-third.
President Donald Trump is calling national security and privacy concerns related to TikTok and its Chinese parent company "highly overrated" and said Friday he'll keep extending the deadline for the popular video-sharing platform until there's a buyer.Congress approved a U.S. ban on TikTok unless its parent company, ByteDance, sold its controlling stake. But Trump has so far extended the deadline three times during his second term-with the next one coming up on September 17.
The first extension was through an executive order on January 20, his first day in office, after the platform went dark briefly when a national ban-approved by Congress and upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court-took effect. The second was in April, when White House officials believed they were nearing a deal to spin off TikTok into a new company with U.S. ownership that fell apart after China backed out following Trump's tariff announcement.
Read at Fast Company
[
|
]