More than 100 people who crossed the Channel on small boats have been detained pending potential removal to France under a reciprocal 'one in, one out' scheme. No applicants have been granted a safe route to the UK so far, and migrants in Calais report frustration at a lack of responses when they tried to apply. The government says detentions have been occurring and that those detained will be held in detention centres until returns begin. Ministers plan a mass communications campaign along northern French camps warning that travellers risk deportation and that payments to smuggling gangs will be wasted. More than 200 people crossed on Sunday.
Detentions of those arriving from France have been taking place over the last 24 hours, so these three small boat migrants may end up finding themselves being bussed to a detention centre before the day is out. We are shortly launching a big communications campaign right along the northern French coast, warning those in camps that if they travel they will be returned to France and that the money they have paid to criminal smuggling gangs will have been wasted.
More than 100 people who have crossed the Channel on small boats have been detained before potential removal to France, under the new one in, one out scheme, the government has said. No one has yet been granted a safe route to the UK, a government source told the Guardian, after reports that migrants in Calais were becoming frustrated with a lack of response when they tried to apply.
A number of those waiting to cross in small boats on the French beaches told reporters from the Times they had not received any response from the government's formal scheme for people to apply to come to the UK via a new safe route, in exchange for the deportation of those crossing on irregular routes such as small boats. More than 200 people crossed the Channel to Britain on boats on Sunday, during clearer weather.
Collection
[
|
...
]