Radio station apologises after accidentally announcing death of Britain's King Charles
Briefly

Radio station apologises after accidentally announcing death of Britain's King Charles
Radio Caroline in Essex apologised after mistakenly announcing that King Charles had died. The station said the announcement was triggered on Tuesday afternoon due to a computer error at its main studio. Playback for the affected broadcast was unavailable on the station’s website. The station manager explained that a procedure used by UK stations in readiness for a monarch’s death was accidentally activated, prompting the station to fall silent as required. Programming was then restored and an on-air apology was issued. Radio Caroline said it was pleased to broadcast the Queen’s and now the King’s Christmas message and hoped to continue for many years. The incident occurred while the King and Queen were in Northern Ireland for a trip that included a performance and other engagements.
"Due to a computer error at our main studio, the death of a Monarch procedure, which all UK stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require, was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon (May 19), mistakenly announcing that HM the King had passed away. Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted us to restore programming and issue an on-air apology."
"Caroline has been pleased to broadcast Her Majesty the Queen's, and now the King's, Christmas message and we hope to do so for many years to come. We apologise to HM the King and to our listeners for any distress caused."
"On Wednesday afternoon, playback for Tuesday's broadcast between 1.58pm and 5pm was unavailable on the station's website."
"Radio Caroline in Essex said in a post on social media the announcement had been made on Tuesday afternoon because of a "computer error" at its main studio."
Read at Irish Independent
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]