Pro-Palestine activists acquitted of burglary at Israeli arms site in UK
Briefly

Pro-Palestine activists acquitted of burglary at Israeli arms site in UK
"All defendants in the Filton24 case in the United Kingdom have been formally acquitted of aggravated burglary at an Israeli arms company, after prosecutors said they could offer no evidence to support the charge. At a hearing at Woolwich Crown Court on Wednesday, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed it was unable to proceed against those who had yet to go on trial, the Filton24 Defence Committee said in a news release."
"The defendants, who are linked to the proscribed campaign group Palestine Action, are accused of taking part in a break-in at a UK branch of Elbit Systems in Bristol. Five of those granted bail, all on remand between 14-18 months, will all be released on Wednesday, apart from one person who will have to be granted bail for another case she is charged with first."
"It's the second high-profile win for Palestine Action, and the pro-Palestine community in the UK, after the High Court ruled last week that the government's ban on Palestine Action as a terror group was unlawful and disproportionate. The decision on Wednesday comes after the first six on trial from the Filton24 were all acquitted of aggravated burglary, the most serious charge by far levelled against the defendants, which carried a maximum sentence of life in prison, the statement said."
"Three of the defendants, including Zoe Rogers, Fatema Zainab Rajwani and Jordan Devlin, were also acquitted of violent disorder. On the remaining counts, the jury reached no verdicts, meaning the six were not convicted of any offence. A spokesperson for the Filton24 Defence Committee described the development as a significant victory. The charge was always used as a tool to repress the defendants and justify imprisoning them for up to two years before trial, which far exceeded the six-month custody time limit, they said."
All Filton24 defendants in the United Kingdom were formally acquitted of aggravated burglary at an Israeli arms company after prosecutors said they could offer no evidence to support the charge. The Crown Prosecution Service confirmed it could not proceed against those who had yet to go on trial. The defendants are linked to the proscribed campaign group Palestine Action and were accused of breaking into a UK branch of Elbit Systems in Bristol. Five detainees remanded 14–18 months will be released on bail, aside from one person awaiting bail for a separate charge. The High Court recently ruled the government's ban on Palestine Action unlawful and disproportionate, and earlier trials saw acquittals and no verdicts on remaining counts.
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]