Man pleads guilty to Tube text message scam
Briefly

Man pleads guilty to Tube text message scam
"Sometimes in these courts it is when everyone is in the same room and the strength of the prosecution evidence is spelled out that the defendants see the strength of the case against them - that has been the case."
"Prosecutor Alex Davidson told jurors in Fan and Shang's trials that the two men used "crude" devices, called "SMS blasters", that worked by "masquerading as a legitimate cell tower, tricking nearby phones into connecting to it instead of their normal network" and sending "fraudulent messages... with links to fraudulent websites"."
"Passengers on the London Underground were lured into parting with their details by a "criminal gang" using homemade "SMS blasters" inside suitcases, the prosecution said."
Daoyan Shang, 20, admitted conspiracy to defraud for a smishing operation that ran between January and March 2025 targeting London Underground passengers. The gang used homemade "SMS blasters" hidden in suitcases to send fake parcel-delivery messages purporting to be from companies such as Evri, with links to fraudulent websites aimed at plundering bank accounts. Zhijia Fan, 48, also changed his plea to guilty and was described as the "top boss" with Shang as his "right-hand man." Both men have no fixed addresses. Wan Hafiz previously pleaded guilty; sentencing for the defendants is scheduled for Tuesday.
Read at www.bbc.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]