Iran to boycott FIFA 2026 World Cup draw in US over visa dispute
Briefly

Iran to boycott FIFA 2026 World Cup draw in US over visa dispute
"Iran is to boycott next week's World Cup finals draw in Washington because the United States refused to grant visas to several members of the delegation, the Iranian football federation announced on Friday. We have informed FIFA that the decisions taken have nothing to do with sports, and the members of the Iranian delegation will not participate in the World Cup draw, the federation's spokesperson told state television."
"We have told the head of FIFA, Mr [Gianni] Infantino, that it is purely a political position and that FIFA must tell them [US] to desist from this behaviour, added Taj. According to Varzesh 3, four members of the delegation, including Amir Ghalenoei, the coach, had been granted visas for the draw on December 5. Iran qualified for the sport's quadrennial showpiece in March, guaranteeing them a fourth successive appearance and seventh in all."
Iran will boycott the World Cup finals draw in Washington after the United States refused visas to several delegation members. The Iranian football federation told FIFA the decisions have nothing to do with sport and confirmed the delegation will not participate. Iranian outlets reported that visas were declined for federation president Mehdi Taj, who called the move political and urged FIFA president Gianni Infantino to intervene. Some delegation members, including coach Amir Ghalenoei, were reportedly granted visas. Iran qualified in March for a fourth successive World Cup but has never reached the knockout stages amid tense US–Iran relations.
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]