A World Cup FanFest that had been planned near the Statue of Liberty is canceled
Briefly

A World Cup FanFest that had been planned near the Statue of Liberty is canceled
"The FanFest was announced in February 2025 by Tammy Murphy, wife of then-New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy and chair of the New York/New Jersey host committee's directors, who said it would be open for all 104 matches of the tournament, which starts June 11. The committee said in a statement Friday an "expanded network of fan zones and community celebrations across 21 counties in New Jersey will serve as a cornerstone of the region's official fan engagement program.""
"Plans for a FanFest in New York City's Corona Park in Queens did not move forward. One is now planed for the U.S. Tennis Association's Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens from June 17-28 and a fan village is scheduled for Manhattan's Rockefeller Center from July 4-19. Fan fests with large video screens have been a part of each World Cup's organization since 2006. FIFA is running the World Cup itself unlike in the past, when a local organizing committee was in charge of logistics. The host committees are limited to sponsorship agreements in categories not reserved by FIFA."
The New York and New Jersey World Cup host committee canceled a planned FanFest at Liberty State Park in Jersey City that would have run for weeks near MetLife Stadium, where the final will be played July 19. The FanFest had been announced in February 2025 and tickets were placed on sale in December. The committee will instead deploy an expanded network of fan zones and community celebrations across 21 New Jersey counties. Mikie Sherrill announced a $5 million initiative to fund community World Cup activities. Alternative events include a festival at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center and a fan village at Rockefeller Center. FIFA is directly running the tournament; host committees face sponsorship limits.
Read at Newsday
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]