
"Despite his disqualification and the fact that the men's skeleton event is well underway, Ukrainian racer Vladislav Heraskevych hasn't given up hope of competing at the Milano Cortina Winter Olympics. "It's our goal. Our goal was always to compete," the 27-year-old told a press conference late on Thursday, hours after International Olympic Committtee (IOC) President Kirsty Coventry had informed him that he had been disqualified from the competition."
"A statement issued by CAS says that Heraskevych is arguing that his disqualification was "disproportionate, unsupported by any technical or safety violation and causes irreparable sporting harm to him." The appeal requests the annulment of the decision and "that CAS reinstates him in the 2026 [Olympic Winter Games] with immediate effect, or in the alternative, that the athlete performs a CAS supervised official run pending the final decision.""
Vladislav Heraskevych received a disqualification after refusing to remove a helmet bearing portraits of more than 20 Ukrainian athletes killed in Russia's war. He wore the helmet in five training runs, finishing among the top six each time. IOC President Kirsty Coventry informed him of the disqualification. The Court of Arbitration for Sport opened an expedited, ad hoc appeals process. Heraskevych argues the ruling is disproportionate, lacks a technical or safety basis, and causes irreparable sporting harm. The appeal seeks annulment and immediate reinstatement or a CAS-supervised official run pending a final decision, with timing uncertain as the competition has begun.
Read at www.dw.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]