
"The state halted a nearly $1 billion project on Monday night that would have repaired five crumbling bridges along a one-mile stretch of the infamous Cross Bronx Expressway, pausing a years-long battle over the plan's potential impacts on the surrounding community. The only thing stakeholders seemed to agree on was that the bridges required critical improvements to maintain their structural integrity."
"Environmental and transit advocates, along with local elected officials, fought state and federal transportation agencies for more than two years about plans they said would expand an environmentally toxic and historically harmful roadway. After extensive discussions marked by public protests, an increased public awareness campaign, and multiple delayed deadlines, state officials announced last night they were shelving the plans."
"Based on community feedback, the Department significantly scaled back the project last year, eliminating elements that the community did not agree with while adding new elements at their request, NYSDOT Regional Director Erik Koester said in a statement. “Despite our best good faith efforts to bring this safety project forward, we have been unable to come to an agreement on how to successfully advance this project.”"
"Leading advocates like Siddartha Sanchez, executive director of the Bronx River Alliance, told amNewYork that last night's announcement marked a stark pivot from where discussions were just last week. “We thought we were going to continue working out the details of mitigation investments and the future of the corridor and engagement around the future of the corridor in order for the state to continue advancing its plans for the Five Bridges project,” said Sanchez. “But it sounds like they chose another direction.”"
The state halted a nearly $1 billion project to repair five deteriorating bridges along a one-mile stretch of the Cross Bronx Expressway. Stakeholders agreed the bridges needed critical structural improvements, but environmental and transit advocates and local elected officials opposed the project’s potential impacts. They argued the plan would expand a roadway associated with environmental harm and historical injustice. After more than two years of conflict with state and federal transportation agencies, public protests, increased awareness efforts, and repeated deadline delays, state officials shelved the plans. The Department had already scaled back the project the previous year by removing elements the community opposed and adding requested changes, but officials said they could not reach agreement on how to advance the safety work.
Read at www.amny.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]