Central Park carriage tumble reins in calls to ban horse-drawn rides in NYC
Briefly

Central Park carriage tumble reins in calls to ban horse-drawn rides in NYC
"Officers from the Central Park Precinct responded to a 911 call of a person in need of help. When they arrived, officers were informed that a carriage horse became startled due to an abrupt movement, authorities said, causing the carriage to overturn. The 44-year-old coachman fell to the ground as a result of the topple; EMS brought him to NewYork-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center in stable condition. The horse sustained no injuries; there were no passengers in the carriage at the time of the incident."
"Following the jaw-dropping incident, the Central Park Conservancy immediately called for a ban on horse-drawn carriages in the iconic park and around the city. This incident is a stark reminder of the dangers that horse-drawn carriages pose in an increasingly crowded Central Park, not only to the park's millions of visitors, but very often to the drivers themselves, a spokesperson for the organization said."
"In a historic move last year, the conservancy called for the city to end the horse-drawn carriage industry in the park, marking the first time it took a side in the ongoing controversy. The Central Park Conservancy renews its call to ban carriages in Central Park as a matter of public safety and public health, the spokesperson added. New York should join the growing number of major cities around the world that have already banned horse-drawn carriages before yet another accident is allowed to happen."
Two horse-drawn carriages were parked in Central Park near W. 59th and West Drive on May 18 before 4 p.m. A 911 call prompted NYPD officers to respond after a person needed help. Officers were told a horse became startled due to an abrupt movement, which caused the carriage to overturn. The 44-year-old coachman fell and was taken by EMS to NewYork-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center in stable condition. The horse was not injured and there were no passengers. The Central Park Conservancy renewed its call to ban horse-drawn carriages in Central Park and across the city, citing public safety and public health concerns and warning that crowded conditions increase risk to visitors and drivers.
Read at www.amny.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]