
Thirteen public parking spots in downtown Mountain View’s Lot 2 will be temporarily unavailable for a Castro Street construction project. The City Council approved the closure of 13 spots at its May 12 meeting. Lot 2 typically has 94 spaces near Bryant and West Dana streets. Five spaces will be used for deliveries and long-term storage for 31 consecutive weeks, while eight spaces will be occupied by a crane for 12 non-consecutive days during different project phases. The closure is scheduled to occur before May 25, 2029. The project includes a 58-square-foot addition and major facade modifications to a commercial building at 236 Castro St. Construction will not encroach on the Castro pedestrian mall, and the developer will make best-faith efforts to minimize disturbances. The city will receive about $12,000 for the parking use.
"The City Council unanimously approved the closure of 13 parking spots in Lot 2 at its May 12 meeting. The item was part of the council's consent agenda, which is a collection of routine items meant to be approved in a single vote. Typically, there are 94 parking spots available in Lot 2, which is located at the corner of Bryant and West Dana streets. The closure is expected to impact five parking spots for 31 consecutive weeks and another eight parking spots for 12 non-consecutive days during different phases of the project, according to the city staff report."
"A developer, Boyd Smith of Smith Development, plans to add a 58-square-foot addition to a commercial building at 236 Castro St., as well as make major facade modifications, the staff report said. Lot 2 is located behind the multitenant building. Five parking spots will accommodate deliveries and the long-term storage of construction materials. A large crane will also be used for the project, taking up the eight parking spaces closest to 236 Castro St. for 12 days spread throughout construction, according to the report."
"The city council originally approved the parking closure back in February 2025, but the construction timeline was delayed. Since then, the plan has been modified to preserve an accessible parking space, the staff report said. The conditions under which the city approved the project stipulate that construction will not encroach on the Castro pedestrian mall, which is the three block section of Castro Street closed off to cars. The developer has also agreed to make "best-faith efforts" to minimize disturbances to businesses and patrons."
"The city will receive approximately $12,000 from Smith Development for the use of the Lot 2 parking spots. The developer will also be resp"
Read at San Jose Spotlight
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]