Rape charges that triggered Ballymena race riots dropped
Briefly

Rape charges that triggered Ballymena race riots dropped
"We have recently been made aware of significant evidential developments in this case. In light of this new evidence, it has been determined that the test for prosecution is no longer met on evidential grounds, and therefore the case should not proceed."
"Prosecutors and the police investigation team met the complainant and her family earlier on Friday to explain the decision, said the statement."
"This is a very sensitive case, but the matters are now marked withdrawn. The less I say about it the better, the district judge, George Conner, told the court."
"You will be dealt with sensitively and will be offered the appropriate additional support."
The Public Prosecution Service cited significant evidential developments and withdrew rape charges against two Romanian boys aged 14 and 15 relating to an alleged 7 June attack in Ballymena. The allegation had triggered violent anti-foreigner disturbances targeting ethnic Roma families, causing dozens to flee and prompting copycat unrest in other towns; a third youth suspected in the incident reportedly fled to Romania. Prosecutors and the police met the complainant and her family to explain the decision. Belfast youth court granted the withdrawal and the juveniles were released; their identities remain protected because of their age. Police urged victims to come forward and asked the public to refrain from speculation.
Read at www.theguardian.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]