Cork man who stole brother's bracelet given extra five days on prison sentence he's serving
Briefly

Cork man who stole brother's bracelet given extra five days on prison sentence he's serving
A 33-year-old man from North Cork appeared in court from custody facing theft, public order, and attempting to commit an indictable offence. Gardaí received a call about a man stumbling near an estate and found him in the front passenger seat of an unlocked car in a drive, wearing clothing matching the description. He admitted entering the car but denied taking property. In a separate matter, his mother’s €800 bracelet, previously given to another son, had disappeared. He admitted stealing and selling the bracelet to pay off a drug debt, and the buyer agreed to return it, leaving a loss of €330. He had 17 previous convictions, including theft sentences currently being served, and his solicitor cited significant addiction difficulties and progress in custody.
"Gardaí received a call from the public of a male stumbling around an estate, near where he had lived. When they arrived, they located Mr Smith in the front passenger seat of a car, wearing clothing that matched that of the description in the report. He did not have permission to go into the car, which was unlocked in someone's drive. Mr Smith was arrested and taken to Mallow Garda Station, where he admitted entering the car, but said he hadn't taken any property."
"The court heard that Mr Smith's mother had bought a bracelet for €800, and subsequently given to another son, but that it later disappeared. Mr Smith admitted to his father that he had stolen and sold the bracelet in order to pay off a drug debt. Gardaí made contact with the person who had bought the bracelet who agreed to return it, and was down €330 as a result. "He was charged €350 but was given €20 back for luck," Inspector O'Sullivan told the court."
"The court heard that the accused had 17 previous convictions, including a four-month and three-month sentence for theft from the Criminal Courts of Justice in Cork on May 6, which he was currently serving. He had eight previous counts of theft. Defence solicitor Charles O'Connor said that his client had 'significant' addiction difficulties, and had "availed well of his time inside." "He hasn't been involved in substances and is a different man in that situation," said Mr O'Connor, who"
Read at Irish Independent
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]