
Cristiano Ronaldo was selected for Portugal’s FIFA World Cup 2026 squad, marking a sixth World Cup appearance at age 41. Roberto Martinez named 27 players plus an honorary plus-one to remember the late Diogo Jota, who died in a car accident last July. Ricardo Velho, a fourth-choice goalkeeper, will travel with the squad but can only be added to the official 26-man list if an injury occurs among the three registered keepers. Portugal, reigning Nations League champions, will play in Group K in the United States, Mexico, and Canada, starting against the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Houston on June 17, then facing Uzbekistan on June 23, and concluding against Colombia in Miami on June 27. The tournament runs from June 11 to July 19.
"Cristiano Ronaldo will embark on a sixth World Cup at the age of 41 after Portugal coach Roberto Martinez named him in a 27-man squad for the tournament, with a symbolic plus one in memory of the late Diogo Jota. Speaking at Cidade do Futebol before a packed auditorium on Tuesday, Martinez confirmed that fourth-choice goalkeeper Ricardo Velho, of Genclerbirligi Ankara, will travel with the squad, but can only be added to the official 26-man list in the event of an injury to one of the three registered keepers."
"Martinez said his selection comprised 27 players plus one, a reference to Liverpool forward Jota, who died in a car accident in July last year, aged 28. He is our strength, our joy, Martinez said. Losing Diogo was an unforgettable and very difficult moment, but the very next day, it was up to all of us to fight for Diogo's dream and for the example he always set in our national team. Diogo Jota's spirit, strength and example are the +1 and will always be the +1."
"The coach defended his decision to name four goalkeepers and five fullbacks, while leaving out players including Mateus Fernandes, Ricardo Horta and Pedro Goncalves. The complexity of the tournament is very important the demands of the weather, the time zone, everything we already experienced in March, Martinez said. There are positions where we need to have more than two players per position. And we need five fullbacks."
"Portugal open their Group K campaign at the tournament in the United States, Mexico and Canada against the Democratic Republic of the Congo on 17 in Houston. They then face Uzbekistan at the same venue on June 23 and conclude the group stage against Colombia in Miami on June 27. The tournament runs from June 11 to July 19."
Read at www.aljazeera.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]