Three-day ambulance strike next week is called off after 'constructive' talks
Briefly

Three-day ambulance strike next week is called off after 'constructive' talks
A three-day ambulance strike scheduled for next week was called off after progress at talks to resolve a pay dispute. A work-to-rule action was also stood down from noon. The Labour Court requested that industrial action be paused during four days of discussions. Unions said talks with the HSE were constructive but that issues remain. Unions are seeking updated ambulance pay scales reflecting changes in responsibilities and workloads over the past 20 years. Siptu represents about 90% of National Ambulance Service staff involved. Enhanced pay scales have largely been agreed, while a management plan to consolidate extra payments for paramedics and emergency medical technicians remains under discussion. The previous one-day strike on May 12 disrupted services, with contingency measures prioritising emergencies and keeping 999 and 112 services operating.
"A three-day ambulance strike due to take place next week has been called off after progress was made at talks to resolve a dispute over pay. A work to rule will be stood down from noon today. The Labour Court made the request that the industrial action was stood down during four days of discussions. Unions sources said talks with the HSE at the Labour Court on Thursday had been "constructive" but there are issues that still need to be resolved."
"They are demanding that ambulance workers' pay scales are updated to reflect changes to their responsibilities and workloads over the last 20 years. Siptu represents around 90pc of the National Ambulance Service staff involved in the dispute. "While this engagement was difficult and challenging at times, we believe that significant progress has been made," said Siptu ambulance sector organiser John McCamley said. "We remain in process, but the Labour Court has requested more time to deliberate on some of the issues in dispute.""
"The talks came after a one-day strike that disrupted national ambulance services on May 12. Members of the ambulance service previously rejected proposals that had been recommended by state mediation bodies and their unions. Patients in Dublin were reliant on Dublin fire brigade ambulances during the one-day stoppage on May 12. Those facing long journeys to hospitals in other counties were particularly vulnerable."
"A HSE spokesperson said there was significant pressure on services and longer ambulance response times due to a reduction in the number of crew available. Contingency plans meant that patients involved in emergencies were given priority. The 999 and 112 emergency phone services continued. It is understood that enhanced pay scales have been largely agreed by the parties. However, a management plan to consolidate extra payments made to paramedics and emergency medical techn"
Read at Irish Independent
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]