
"Speaking in Cannes on Sunday, the Canal+ chief executive, Maxime Saada, called the petition an injustice toward the Canal+ teams, who are committed to defending the independence of Canal+ and the full diversity of its choices. He added: I will no longer work with and I no longer want Canal to work with the people who signed that petition."
"They said that leaving French cinema in the hands of a far-right owner risked not only the standardisation of films, but a fascist takeover of the collective imagination. Bollore, a conservative industrialist, has a powerful media empire, which includes Canal+ and its in-house production operation, StudioCanal, which is Europe's leading film and television production and distribution group."
"The open letter, published earlier this week to coincide with the opening of the Cannes film festival, was signed by more than 600 figures, including the actor-director Juliette Binoche, the director and photographer Raymond Depardon, the French-Iranian film-maker Sepideh Farsi and the director Arthur Harari, who co-wrote the Oscar-winning Anatomy of a Fall and is premiering his film The Unknown in the main competition in Cannes."
"In the open letter, the film industry figures said they were alarmed that Canal+ had taken a stake in UGC, the third-biggest network of French cinemas, with a view to fully owning it in 2028. They said Bollore would be in the position of controlling"
More than 600 cinema figures signed an open letter published ahead of Cannes, warning that Vincent Bolloré’s growing influence could standardize films and enable a fascist takeover of collective imagination. The signatories included Juliette Binoche, Raymond Depardon, Sepideh Farsi, and Arthur Harari. Bolloré is described as a conservative industrialist with a major media empire that includes Canal+ and StudioCanal, along with CNews, Europe 1, and Le Journal du Dimanche. Canal+ chief executive Maxime Saada said the petition was an injustice toward Canal+ teams and stated that Canal+ would no longer work with the people who signed it. The letter also raised alarm about Canal+ taking a stake in UGC with plans for full ownership in 2028.
Read at www.theguardian.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]