
"Lyon's public prosecutor Thierry Dran announced the probe at a press conference, saying that Quentin Deranque had been attacked by "at least six" people on Thursday. The victim was part of a group of far-right activists protesting the appearance of a left-wing politician speaking at a university in the western city of Lyon. Prosecutor Dran said that no arrests had yet been made and that authorities were working to identify the hooded assailants."
"Supporters held a march in memory of Deranque in Paris on Sunday, also attended by some far-right politicians including the founder of the "Reconquest" far-right party, former presidential candidate Eric Zemmour. President Emmanuel Macron called for calm and for a swift investigation online. "It is essential that the perpetrators of this ignominy be prosecuted, brought to justice and convicted," Macron wrote on X at the weekend. "Hatred that kills has no place among us. I call for calm, restraint and respect.""
French prosecutors opened a murder investigation after 23-year-old Quentin Deranque died from a severe brain injury following an attack in Lyon. Prosecutor Thierry Dran said Deranque was assaulted by at least six hooded individuals while part of a group of far-right activists protesting a left-wing politician at a university. No arrests have been made; investigators are treating the incident as possible intentional homicide and aggravated assault while seeking to identify the assailants. The killing heightened political tensions ahead of municipal and presidential elections, prompting a Paris march attended by far-right figures and calls for calm from President Macron.
Read at www.dw.com
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]